Bail for man arrested in connection with Fort Victoria child sex attack

A man arrested in connection with a serious sexual offence at Fort Victoria Country Park on Monday has been bailed, with conditions, until September 28.

Police on the Isle of Wight are investigating an allegation of serious sexual assault following an incident on the afternoon of August 31, at the beauty spot near Yarmouth.

A three-year-old girl was assaulted in woodland, police say, prompting an appeal for information and witnesses.

Hampshire Constabulary cordoned off woodland and toilets earlier this week.

The force said the girl and her family were being looked after by specialist support officers.

Superintendent Sarah Jackson, district commander for the Isle of Wight, said: “Detectives investigating this offence have been working tirelessly and will continue to do so.

“I would like to once again thank the community for their ongoing support, feedback and assistance with our enquiries. Please continue to call us with any information you have that could help, we still think there could have been other people in the park who haven’t yet come forward. 

“Incidents such as this are very rare, but I am asking parents and guardians to be vigilant when children are playing outdoors and children are asked to look out for each other and avoid talking to strangers. I would urge you to report anything suspicious immediately to 101.” 

If you have any information about the incident, contact 101 quoting Operation July.

Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, 100 per cent anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or via the anonymous online form.

Isle of Wight County Press | News