10 cases of COVID-19 have been found in Isle of Wight schools since Friday, the Isle of Wight Council has confirmed.
Speaking at a meeting of the Local Outtbreak Engagement Board today (Thursday), cabinet member for children’s services, Councillor Paul Brading, said there had been a spike in new cases in schools on the Island since Friday.
Cllr Brading said:
“Each case is dealt with very professionally by the school and the guidance from Public Health England is clear.
“Parents and pupils have been understanding and adapting to what we have to put in place to make the school safe environments.”
If a bubble in a school has to self-isolate, schools are automatically switching to remote learning.
Multiple schools on the Island have announced a case in its community in the last few days — including at the Island Innovation VI Form, Medina College, Cowes Enterprise College and Barton Primary School.
Northwood Primary School and Wroxall Primary Schools have also had a COVID-19 positive case in its community but following Public Health England guidance, nobody in either school needs to self-isolate.
Director of public health for the Isle of Wight Simon Bryant said schools have been doing really well in managing any positive cases.
The number of pupils, staff or other members of the school community currently self-isolating are unknown.